8 months ago
There are four weeks remaining in the Appian World Hackathon! Submissions are due April 15 before 5pm ET.
Start your submission now
Starting a submission is a good way to make sure that your project meets the requirements. There’s nothing worse than getting to the deadline, only to realize that you’re missing a key component. Remember: once you submit a project, you can keep editing it as needed at any time prior to the submission deadline. Need a primer on how the submission form works? Head over to our submission form tutorial.
Prepare your video
We know you’re focused on preparing your app, but don't forget about your video. It’s a key part of your submission because it will help the judges review your project.
Your video tells the story behind your submission, providing a clear display of your project and talent in a video:
- Establish your elevator pitch. In the first few seconds of your video, explain how your application uses the Appian platform to solve a pain point. Within 60 seconds, viewers tend to lose interest, so use this time wisely to keep them engaged!
- Show, don't tell. Providing real life context and showing users firsthand how your application solves the problem at hand, will help judges and voters understand and appreciate your product design.
- Keep it simple. Per the official rules, your video shouldn't be much longer than five minutes.
- Don't wait until the last minute to upload your video. Due to file size, format, and your Internet connection, uploading a video to YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
- Get organized. Write out a script of what you’ll say and demonstrate in your video and rehearse it before recording. Essentially a good script should talk about:
- The problem being addressed
- Existing solutions to the problem
- The solution that your application provides and how it works
If you need more advice, check out our video-making best practices.
If you have any questions about the hackathon, please post on the discussion forum.