APPIAN WORLD HACKATHON RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. The Appian World Hackathon (AWH) runs from February 7, 2018 at 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time through March 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (the “Hackathon Period”). SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES INTO THE AWH CONSTITUTE AGREEMENT TO THESE RULES AS A CONTRACT BETWEEN ENTRANT (AND EACH INDIVIDUAL MEMBER OF ENTRANT) AND APPIAN AND DEVPOST.
1. Eligibility. Individuals over the age of 18 and teams of individuals over the age of 18 may enter the AWH. Entrants to the AWH may be from any part of the world where the competition is lawful or entrants may receive a prize, but excepting those individuals, teams and organizations who are residents of, and organizations domiciled in Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control. Appian employees, employees of Devpost, AWH Judges and persons or entities employed by or employing a AWH Judge, employees of Appian’s competitors and their immediate family members are not eligible to make submissions to the AWH. All entrants must complete an entry form accurately in order to be eligible. Appian may also exclude from the AWH any other individual or organization whose participation in the AWH would create, in the sole discretion of Appian and/or Devpost, a real or apparent conflict of interest or competitive conflict for Appian. Appian may disqualify an Entrant for tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Hackathon or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in a manner that is inappropriate, unsportsmanlike, not in the best interests of the AWH, or a violation of any applicable law or regulation. Appian shall have the right to determine all issues of eligibility in its sole discretion.
2. How To Enter. Entrants may enter the AWH by visiting appian.devpost.com (“Hackathon Page”). Entrants will complete an entry form and obtain access to a cloud instance of Appian’s low-code platform software. Use of Appian’s low-code platform will be subject to the license agreement related thereto. Appropriate entry forms must be completed before access is granted. Entry in the AWH constitutes consent for Appian and Devpost to collect and maintain an entrant’s personal information for the purpose of operating the AWH and publicizing the AWH. Entrants may not use their access to the Appian software for the purpose of disassembling, decompiling, recreating, reproducing, or otherwise reverse engineering the Appian software or creating a product competitive to Appian. Any access to the Appian software granted for the purpose of entry into the AWH shall terminate at the conclusion of the AWH.
3. Team Representation. If a team or organization is entering the AWH, they must appoint and authorize one individual (the “Representative”) to represent, act, and enter a Submission, on their behalf. The Representative must meet the eligibility requirements above. By entering a Submission on the Site on behalf of a team or organization you represent and warrant that you are the Representative authorized to act on behalf of your team or organization.
4. Submission Requirements. Submissions to the AWH must meet the following requirements:
- All submissions must be built with the Appian low-code platform
- All submissions must include a demonstration video of the entry. The video portion of the submission:
a. should be less than five (5) minutes;
b. should include footage that clearly demonstrates and walks through the Solution
c. if included, must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku, and a link to the video must be provided on the submission form on the Hackathon Website; and
d. must not include third party trademarks, or copyrighted music or other material unless the Entrant has permission to use such material.
- Be a new solution or an update to an existing solution created during the Hackathon Period. If an update to an existing solution, the entry will be judged solely on the basis of the update and the entrant will be required to explain how their solution has been updated during the submission period.
- Function as depicted in the submitted video and text description
- Be in English
- Be substantially different from any other app submitted by the same submitter/team/organization
- Be the original work of the submitter, be solely owned by the submitter, and not violate the IP rights of any other person or entity
- Access must be provided to an Entrant’s working application for judging and testing by providing a link to a website, functioning demo, or a test build. If Entrant’s website is private, Entrant must include login credentials in its testing instructions.
- Be provided at no charge for the testing and judging periods
- An Entrant may submit more than one Submission, however, each submission must be unique and substantially different from each of the Entrant’s other Submissions, as determined by Appian in its sole discretion.
- If a submission integrates SDKs, APIs and/or data, Entrant must be authorized to use them and allow Appian, Devpost and the AWH Judges to use them for the purpose of judging such submission.
5. Submission Modifications
A. Draft Submissions: Prior to the end of the Submission Period, you may save draft versions of your submission on Devpost to your portfolio before submitting the submission materials to the AWH or evaluation. Once the Submission Period has ended, you may not make any changes or alterations to your submission, but you may continue to update the project in your Devpost portfolio.
B. Modifications After the Submission Period: Appian may permit you to modify part of your submission after the Submission Period for the purpose of removing material that potentially infringes a third party mark or right, discloses personally identifiable information, or is otherwise inappropriate. The modified submission must remain substantively the same as the original submission with the only modification being what Appian permits.
6. Judges & Criteria. Eligible submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges selected by Appian (the “Judges”). Judges may be employees of Appian or third parties, may or may not be listed individually on the Hackathon Website, and may change before or during the Judging Period. Judging may take place in one or more rounds with one or more panels of Judges, at the discretion of Appian.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria, and according to the sole and absolute discretion of the judges selected by Appian:
- Quality of the Idea (Includes creativity and originality of the idea.)
- Implementation of the Idea (Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer.)
- Potential Impact (Includes the extent to which the solution can impact enterprises.)
The three (3) Entrants whose submissions earn the highest overall scores based on the Judging Criteria will become potential winners of the First, Second and Third Prizes. Judges are not required to test the submission and may choose to judge based solely on the description, images and video provided in the submission. For each Prize listed in Section 7 below, if two or more submissions are tied, the tied submission with the highest score in the first applicable criterion listed above will be considered the higher scoring submission. In the event any ties remain, this process will be repeated, as needed, by comparing the tied Submissions’ scores on the next applicable criterion. If two or more submissions are tied on all applicable criteria, the panel of Judges will vote on the tied submissions.
7. Intellectual Property Rights. All submissions remain the intellectual property of the individuals or organizations that developed them. By submitting an entry, entrants agree that Appian will have a fully paid, non-exclusive license to use such entry for judging the entry and to include the entry in the Appian AppMarket. Entrants agree that Appian and Devpost shall have the right to use the name, likeness, voice and image of all individuals contributing to a submission on materials promoting or publicizing the AWH and its results or Appian during the Hackathon Period and for three years thereafter. The following Submission components may be displayed to the public: name, description, images, video URL, website, URL, team members, the Submission category and platform, and submitter type. Other Submission materials may be viewed by the Poster, Administrator, and Judges for screening and evaluation. The following submission components may be displayed to the public: name, description, images, video URL, website, URL, team members, the Submission category and platform, and submitter type. Other Submission materials may be viewed by the Poster, Administrator, and Judges for screening and evaluation. By submitting an entry or accepting any prize, entrants represent and warrant that (a) submitted content that is not copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless entrant is the owner of such rights or has permission from their rightful owner to post the content; and (b) the content submitted does not contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware or other disabling devices or harmful or malicious code.
8. Prizes. AWH prizes are non-transferable by the winner. Prize winners will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting such prize.
- $5,000 USD
- 4 free passes to Appian World 2019
- Appian deluxe promotion
- Featured promotion on Appian.com
- Featured Promotion on Appian AppMarket
- Featured Promotion on Appian Community
- Joint Webinar
- Joint Collateral
- Blog Post on Appian.com
- Press Release
- $3,000 USD
- 2 free passes to Appian World 2019
- Appian promotion
- Highlighted Promotion on Appian AppMarket
- Highlighted Promotion on Appian Community
- Blog Post on Appian.com
- $2,000 USD
- 1 free pass to Appian World 2019
- Appian promotion
- Highlighted Promotion on Appian AppMarket
- Blog Post on Appian.com
9. Prize Winners. There is a limit of one (1) prize per person or team. Winners will be notified at Appian World on or about the date or time set forth on the Hackathon Page. THE AWARD OF A PRIZE TO A POTENTIAL WINNER IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION OF THE IDENTITY, QUALIFICATIONS AND ROLE OF THE POTENTIAL WINNER IN THE CREATION OF THE SUBMISSION. Each winner or member of a winning team (as applicable) may be required to complete, sign, have notarized (if applicable) and return to the address specified by Appian, without alteration and in the form presented by the Sponsor, an affidavit of eligibility, declaration and/or liability/publicity release (unless prohibited by law) and tax forms (if applicable) within the time frame designated by Sponsor or prize may be forfeited. Winners must return required forms within ten (10) business days after the forms are sent. In the event of noncompliance with these requirements, the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting and in Appian's sole discretion) based on the judges scores. The affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (if any) are subject to verification by Appian. Appian reserves the right to modify the notification procedures in connection with the selection of any alternate potential winner, if any.
Prizes will be payable to the Entrant, if an individual, to the Entrant’s Representative, if a Team, or to the Organization, if the Entrant is an Organization. It will be the responsibility of the winning Entrant’s Representative to allocate the Prize among their Team or Organization’s participating members, as the Representative deems appropriate. A monetary Prize will be mailed to the winning Entrant’s address (if an individual) or the Representative’s address (if a Team or Organization), or wired to the Entrant, Entrant Representative, or Organization’s bank account, only after receipt of the Required Forms.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. EACH ENTRANT INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, RELEASE, AND HOLD HARMLESS APPIAN, DEVPOST, THEIR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AND EMPLOYEES, FROM ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN OR APPIAN OR DEVPOST’S OPERATION (INCLUDING JUDGING AND DETERMINATIONS OF ELIGIBILITY) OF THE AWH. PRIZE WINNERS AGREE THAT THE PRIZE IS PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW.
11. Dispute Resolution/Governing Law. To the fullest extent permitted by law, by participating in the AWH, Entrants agree that: (a) any action at law or in equity initiated by any person or entity against Appian, Devpost or any person or entity affiliated with Appian arising out of or relating to these Rules or the AWH shall be filed exclusively in the courts of County of Fairfax, Virginia, and entrants hereby consent and submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action, with any right of change of venue or forum non conveniens or the like being expressly waived; (b) any such action shall be resolved individually, NOT as part of a class action; (c) any claims/judgments/awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but NOT attorneys’ fees (or damages/remedies/relief of any other kind). These Rules and the AWH shall be governed by the laws of Virginia without regard to choice of law/conflict of law principles of Virginia or any other jurisdiction.
12. Winners List: For a list of prize winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by January 6, 2019 to: Appian, 11955 Democracy Drive, Suite 1700, Reston, VA 20190, Attn: Appian World Hackathon Results